Bereavement Quotes and Verses
Bereavement quotes and verses can be used at a funeral or memorial service. They can be very helpful in ministering to our heart and soul.
Following is just a small sampling of bereavement quotes.
- To ease another’s heartache is to forget one’s own. - Abraham Lincoln
- He spake well who said that graves are the footprints of angels. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- A human life is a story told by God. ~Hans Christian Andersen
- While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil. ~John Taylor
- Bereavement is the sharpest challenge to our trust in God; if faith can overcome this, there is no mountain which it cannot remove. – Dean Inge
- Unable are the loved to die. For love is immortality. ~Emily Dickinson
- The angels are always near to those who are grieving, to whisper to them that their loved ones are safe in the hand of God. ~Quoted in The Angels' Little Instruction Book by Eileen Elias Freeman, 1994
- And with the morn those angel faces smileWhich I have loved long since and lost awhile.~John Henry Newman
- Although it's difficult today to see beyond the sorrow,May looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow.~Author Unknown
These bereavement quotes below are a bit longer, but are just too good to leave out.
- It’s okay to Laugh: Laughter is not a sign of “less” grief. Laughter is not a sign of “less” love. It’s a sign that many of our thoughts and memories are happy ones. It’s a sign that we know our dear one would have us laugh. It’s okay to laugh. – Patricia Lufty Nevitt TCF Austin TX
- And we ourselves shall be loved for a while and forgotten. But the love will have been enough; all those impulses of love return to the love that made them. Even memory is not necessary for love. There is a land of the living and a land of the dead and the bridge is love, the only survival, the only meaning. – Thorton Wilder
- Thou has turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness; To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee forever. Psalm 30:11-12
- Life is eternal, and love is immortal,and death is only a horizon;and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.~Rossiter Worthington Raymond
- It is the will of God and Nature that these mortal bodies be laid aside, when the soul is to enter into real life; 'tis rather an embrio state, a preparation for living; a man is not completely born until he be dead: Why then should we grieve that a new child is born among the immortals? ~Benjamin Franklin
- I do not believe that sheer suffering teaches. If suffering alone taught, all the world would be wise, since everyone suffers. To suffering must be added mourning, understanding, patience, love, openness and the willingness to remain vulnerable. – Joseph Addison
- If, as I can’t help suspecting, the dead also feel the pains of separation (and this may be one of their purgatorial sufferings), then for both lovers, and for all pairs of lovers without exception, bereavement is a universal and integral part of our experience of love. – C.S. Lewis
There is much to ponder in the words of these bereavement quotes.
If you are looking for what to say in sympathy the book “My Deepest Sympathies…Meaningful Sentiments for Condolence Notes and Conversations, Plus a Guide to Eulogies” by Florence Isaacs would be a good resource.
I hope these bereavement quotes and sayings have been a healing balm to your soul.
Return from Bereavement Quotes to Funerals
Return from Bereavement Quotes to Bereavement Home Page
MY PROMISE TO YOU
A site that is…
Content to help you heal
Hand picked bereavement products
Let me do the homework and research for you.
Has this site helped you with your grief? Please consider a small donation to allow this site to assist in the healing of others.
With a donation of only $1.99, please accept my gift of four grief stories collected in an e-book. Click on the button below to be taken to PAYLOADZ where the download will be available.
With your gift of $15 or more, please accept a teardrop bottle as a token of my appreciation.